We Are Hiring: Business Development Manager
We are hiring a part-time business development manager to join our team, working remotely with regular meetings in London and with fully flexible time.
- Start Date: June 2019
- Duration: Permanent
- Hours: Part time, 20 hours a week, flexible hours
- Location: London or Home Counties, working from home with regular meetings in London
- Remuneration: £35,000 to £40,000 p.a. pro-rata + equity options
imby was conceived as an online platform that gives individuals the power to protect and enhance urban biodiversity through good gardening. The objective of the company is to create a digital twin of nature in our cities, showing how we are all connected, and how we can all contribute to improving the world around us.
imby is currently delivering an energy management app for our partner, Considerate Group, with funding confirmed until March 2020.
imby is a Sustainability Data Specialist, with experience in:
- time-series data
- geolocation data
- energy & environment
- engaging with the DCC
- plants & gardens
- app + backend dev
- IoT apps
About you and your career
Whether you stay with imby for a short period or for longer, you will work with products and technology that help people make their environment a better place to live in. You will be supported by colleagues who are experts in their business or technical domains, and we will provide training to ensure that by the time you leave, you are a better business development professional and are able to take your career to the next level.
About this role
We need a business-minded person who is able to take advantage of the company’s existing runway, experienced team and existing IP that we have, in order to:
- Obtain additional grant funding to consolidate IP, extend the runway and the team, and diversify sources of income;
- Put in place the business development strategy to transition mature IP from grant funding to self-sustaining solutions;
- Gradually take over the overall business strategy of the company with a view to create a sustainable business.
The business environment in which we operate (sustainability, biodiversity and energy) is strongly community driven and we need our business development efforts to recognise this and work in concert with those communities. This community aspect carries to the technical side where we believe that some of our software is best developed with an open source model and the corresponding business model should support this approach.
You will be joining a small team based in London, working directly with our CEO and CTO, as well as our distributed team in the UK and abroad.
The role offers flexible hours, a chance to gain experience in startups, and to learn and grow in a safe environment. If successful, the role will expand and can evolve to a full time position.
During the first six months:
- Write R&D grant applications (and manage successful grants)
- Work with CEO to manage company accounts and budgets
- Work with CTO to identify opportunities in the market for further contracts and delivery of imby’s own technologies
- Develop strong relationships with imby’s network of stakeholders, including maintaining regular communications
Additionally, from 6-12 months:
- Develop strategy for company development over the following 12-18 months
- Strengthen key strategic relationships with stakeholders
- Deliver on R&D grants and commercial contract
You have experience in business development roles in companies large or small, and specific experience in replying to RFPs or grant applications. You are skilled at managing multiple strands of work at the same time and orchestrate the contributions of multiple team members to deliver applications in the expected timeframes.
You are keen to expand your skills to cover strategic business development and administration, including designing business models and go-to-market strategies.
We really don’t mind what degree you have, or if you have a degree at all; relevant experience / capabilities and the right personality are much more important.
Essential skills & Experience
- Good command of English, both spoken and written
- Experience preparing written reports, grant applications, and other forms of written communication
- Good with people
- A desire to work in a small team
- The ability to work remotely and independently
- A keen interest in gardening nature, biodiversity and sustainability!
Nice to Have
In addition to the skills above, having experience in any of the following areas will help you get comfortable in the job:
- Previous startup experience
- R&D grant writing and delivery experience
- Project Management experience, technical or non-technical
- Product Management experience
- Business administration education or experience (e.g. bookkeeping, HR, general admin)
- Software development process experience
- Open source software models
If this sounds like you, contact me with a copy of your CV at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply and don’t hesitate to share this post if you know someone who might be interested.
We are an equal opportunities employer that values diversity and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender identity or age.